NNDR appeals under check challenge appeal

Hi,

we''re just looking at the accounting implications of the change to the NDR appeal system to check-challenge-appeal, which came in from 1/4/2017. This has relevance to both 17/18 final accounts as well as the 18/19 NNDR1. Has anyone else started to form a view about whether this is going to pose a challenge in terms of forming a reliable estimate? Some of the issues we came up with locally were

1. whether submission of a ''check'' would count as an obliging event under IAS37 (maybe in some cases??) or would these fall within contingent liabilities?
2. is information coming through the system to provide enough base data to establish expected values?
3. is information coming through the system to give assurance that we''ll have timely access to a materially complete list as at 31/3/2018 and for prep of the 18/19 NNDR1?

I know when retained rates came in LAAP covered the appeals provision in a couple of the year end bulletins; does anyone know if this is on their radar or that of the CIPFA FAN year end team?

Thanks

Pete
Parents
  • Further to my earlier post, I find the VTS have also published data - on appeals. See www.valuationtribunal.gov.uk/.../VTS-Stats-Release-Oct-Dec18.pdf

It's interesting that 40 appeals have been received so far against the 2017 List (England), 18 of which have been settled (or "cleared"), leaving 22 outstanding at 31st December. I wonder which billing authorities are affected and what reporting the VTS are giving them. The data are not broken down below national level.

Against the 2010 List, they have 75,100 outstanding, which sounds a lot. But they had 130,500 brought forward at 1st April 2018 and had cleared a net 55,400 (42%) by the end of December, of which a net 13,200 were in the latest quarter. So at this rate, if the VOA perform at least as well as the VTS, it could all be over by this time next year!
  • Further to my earlier post, I find the VTS have also published data - on appeals. See www.valuationtribunal.gov.uk/.../VTS-Stats-Release-Oct-Dec18.pdf

It's interesting that 40 appeals have been received so far against the 2017 List (England), 18 of which have been settled (or "cleared"), leaving 22 outstanding at 31st December. I wonder which billing authorities are affected and what reporting the VTS are giving them. The data are not broken down below national level.

Against the 2010 List, they have 75,100 outstanding, which sounds a lot. But they had 130,500 brought forward at 1st April 2018 and had cleared a net 55,400 (42%) by the end of December, of which a net 13,200 were in the latest quarter. So at this rate, if the VOA perform at least as well as the VTS, it could all be over by this time next year!
Children
No Data