Suspected credit card fraud

Over the past few days we have received several small payments by card to non-existent business rates accounts. Usually for less than £2, they were spotted when they went into suspense. The account numbers used passed a basic validation test, but were not real.

The suspicion is that the transactions are to test whether stolen or cloned cards are still active before making more expensive purchases elsewhere.

We would like to help prevent fraud against the owners of the cards.

Have other councils experienced the same problem? Have you found a way of assisting the card owners?
Parents
  • Via another forum we have heard of a few other councils experiencing the same issue.

As we are not the victim of the fraud, I could not find an obvious option to use on the Action Fraud web site.

We are concerned that we could be out of pocket if we have to pay a chargeback fee when the payments are reclaimed by the card owners. We are not sure on this point so I will post an update if we do suffer any financial loss. We could give refunds before chargebacks are initiated to avoid this.
  • Via another forum we have heard of a few other councils experiencing the same issue.

As we are not the victim of the fraud, I could not find an obvious option to use on the Action Fraud web site.

We are concerned that we could be out of pocket if we have to pay a chargeback fee when the payments are reclaimed by the card owners. We are not sure on this point so I will post an update if we do suffer any financial loss. We could give refunds before chargebacks are initiated to avoid this.
Children
No Data