Suspected credit card fraud

Over the past few days we have received several small payments by card to non-existent business rates accounts. Usually for less than £2, they were spotted when they went into suspense. The account numbers used passed a basic validation test, but were not real.

The suspicion is that the transactions are to test whether stolen or cloned cards are still active before making more expensive purchases elsewhere.

We would like to help prevent fraud against the owners of the cards.

Have other councils experienced the same problem? Have you found a way of assisting the card owners?
Parents
  • We’ve had similar cases but relating to Council Tax accounts. I''''ve reported cases to Action Fraud where we have had chargebacks from Card Providers. When examining the related Council tax accounts I found other similar smaller payments where there had been no chargebacks. I can only assume that if the debit / credit cards were stolen / cloned then the cardholders haven''t noticed these payments. At the time I felt uncomfortable that we were accepting potential fraudulent payments but was informed that we are not technically a victim of the frauds. Action Fraud would only use the information provided for intelligence purposes.
  • We’ve had similar cases but relating to Council Tax accounts. I''''ve reported cases to Action Fraud where we have had chargebacks from Card Providers. When examining the related Council tax accounts I found other similar smaller payments where there had been no chargebacks. I can only assume that if the debit / credit cards were stolen / cloned then the cardholders haven''t noticed these payments. At the time I felt uncomfortable that we were accepting potential fraudulent payments but was informed that we are not technically a victim of the frauds. Action Fraud would only use the information provided for intelligence purposes.
Children
No Data