Compulsory works on council flats


The council are completing some renovation works to a block of flats they own, and are asking for a compulsory contribution from the private leaseholders.

I am not sure if we should be accounting for VAT on the contribution, or if it should be non-business or even exempt.  Could anyone advise me, please?